Thursday, October 16, 2008

Clemens unlikely to pitch in '09

Roger Clemens says he has "no desire" to play baseball in 2009, but the only reason he's not interested is he can't guarantee that he can survive a full season at the MLB level. He did leave the slightest amount of wiggle room, but this sounds like a player who doesn't want to quit knowing he has to head toward the sunset.
“I don’t know if I will ever say no. I would have to know that I could perform at a high level and that my body would be able to hold up.”

Clemens, an 11-time All-Star and seven-time Cy Young award winner, said he did not feel he could play any longer.

“I think I said a long time ago that I’m not a quitter,” Clemens said. “I’m never going to quit. I think I’m just going to walk away. I think I will never be too far from the game.”
There's some poetic justice in that first statement. You know, the part about having to perform at a high level and a body breaking down. Clemens seemed to find the fountain of youth as an older player, and now with his name forever attached to steroids the comments contain an ironic twist.

Good luck, Roger, and good bye.

No comments: