Sunday, February 22, 2009

A trace of the old Tracy

I haven't really looked at the list, but Chad Tracy certainly comes to mind for National League Comeback Player of the Year now that he's back from microfracture knee surgery.
"It scared me; I'll be honest. But I kept pushing ahead, sticking to my rehab, doing everything they told me to do, and I'm fortunate my knee made it back. I'm very close to where I used to be."

Tracy slugged his way through the Diamondbacks' farm system with a high batting average and on-base percentage. At every stop, his managers praised his clutch hitting and ability to spray the ball to all parts of the field.

After hitting .308 with 27 homers in 2005, his second year in the majors, he appeared on the verge of becoming the franchise's foundation. If the Diamondbacks were to make another run at a championship, Tracy figured to be the player leading the way.

But because of the growing discomfort in his knee, which he believed was nothing more than minor tendinitis, and a slew of top prospects, Tracy missed out on his potential stardom.
Tony Clark is his only real competition at first base now that Connor Jackson is in the outfield. Tracy is young enough to find his form and put up some monster numbers. He had a couple of nice years before struggling with the knee problem the last two seasons.

Fantasy Impact: He's a great flier pick in the middle rounds. If he slips outside of a starting spot on draft day, get him before someone else gets wise.

No comments: