Sunday, February 22, 2009

More steals, sure, but we need even more from Taveras

Willie Taveras stole 68 bases in 75 attempts last season, double his career high. Now he's looking to do even more.
"I think with a .350 on-base I can steal 100 bases," he said.

The last player to steal 100 bases in a season was Vince Coleman, who took 109 for St. Louis in 1987.

"It can happen," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Taveras. "He's hard to throw out. He studies. I'm beginning to realize he's smarter than a lot of people give him credit for, which is how I think he likes it. Sometimes, it's better if people don't think you're smart."

But, again, getting to first base is the first step.

"He's got to get on base a lot more than he has before," Baker said.

Taveras doesn't help himself with walks. In 2007, when he missed time with a quad strain, Taveras walked 21 times in 408 plate appearances. Last year, he walked 36 times in 531.

"I think, to be honest with you, I was very consistent in 2007," he said. "I hit the ball more solid. I was in and out of the lineup a lot of times last year. Sometimes, you work hard and you still struggle. It's a new year. (Last year's) in the past."
Taveras isn't a keeper in most leagues, so look for his value to go up if this story gets a little bit more publicity. He's almost a lock to steal 50 bases, which could lead the league in an average season.

Fantasy Impact: Be careful in your draft with this info. I don't believe a base stealer like Taveras makes enough of a diffence in any other category to be more than a middle-tier selection. You can get stolen bases elsewhere, if needed. You don't need the top dog to win the hunt.

No comments: