Saturday, February 28, 2009

Santana's arm issue a reality drops fantasy value a touch

It's still early in the Johan Santana saga, but his scratched start from Friday is resulting in some speculating from the New York Times that Santana might miss his Opening Day start.
Twenty days after arriving in Florida, he has yet to face a batter.

“We talked about taking everything easy and not going crazy,” Santana said. “Jerry will make a decision on when I will pitch again, and in the meantime I’m going to get myself ready. He doesn’t want me to put myself in any situation where it gets any worse.”

“For me to go out there right now without facing any hitters would be the wrong thing to do,” Santana added. “So we have a plan where I have to throw some light B.P. like I’ve done in the past, and we’ll go from there.”

Still, he would not say for sure whether or not he would start on opening day, April 6 in Cincinnati.

“If it’s going to be me or somebody else, it’s tough to say,” he said. “But right now, on paper, I’m supposed to be the one.”

Santana, who has been throwing every other day, said that he had not had a magnetic resonance imaging exam, but that team doctors told him that his elbow tightness was related to his triceps tendon. He played down the severity, insisting that there are still five weeks until opening day.

As Manager Jerry Manuel put it Friday, the Mets are being “extra, extra, extra cautious.”
Severe or not, this issue is enough to drop Santana behind Tim Lincecum as the most attractive pitcher on fantasy draft day. Lincecum meets or exceeds Santana in every category but wins, and with Johan possibly missing time, Lincecum can beat him there, too.

Fatansy Analysis: It is Spitting Seeds' opinion that Tim Lincecum is the safer bet to have a better 2009 at this time. Santana has plenty of time to get it going this spring, but any arm troubles this early in the year are a cause of concern. Stay tuned.

No comments: