Saturday, February 28, 2009

Beltre told "no" for WBC

Adrian Beltre felt his surgically-repaired shoulder was ready to play at the World Baseball Classic. Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik felt otherwise. Today the team told Beltre they wouldn't excuse him to participate in the tournament.
"We had an idea how we both felt," Beltre said. "And from that conversation, I got that he wanted me to stay here but if I was going to go he was going to support that.

I was trying to get ready and mentally, I was ready to go. And physically, yesterday I found out I was ready to go. But today, it's a different story."

An unanswered question is whether this episode could impact Beltre's pending free-agency. Beltre has declined to comment on any possible contract extension, while speculation mounts that Zduriencik will attempt to deal him by the July 31 deadline.

The Mariners kept Beltre out of the lineup for Saturday's game, a 6-4 win over the San Francisco Giants. They plan to give him a couple of days off to absorb the decision and ease him in more slowly.

"I think they're separate issues," Zduriencik said of Beltre's free-agency and the denied WBC opportunity. "Hopefully, this isn't an issue that is anything further than this particular issue."
Beltre was fairly diplomatic about the situation, but if he's masking ill feelings, they could eventually come back to haunt the Mariners. Then again, if they're holding Beltre as trade fodder rather than a cog in the wheel, he might not be around long enough to get bitter.

No comments: