Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Yo, Yovani

Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo is attempting to do the improbable - pitch again this season. Tom Haudricourt has that in the second half of this piece.
“I would like to pitch before the end of the year,” Gallardo said. “That’s what I’m shooting for. If I’m not ready, it’s not worth taking the risk. But everything’s going good.

“I’m going to do everything possible to stay on the right track. I’m not counting on it but hopefully I can come back (in September). That’s my goal.”
That would be a remarkable turnaround. Considering ACL tears used to take a one-year recovery, Gallardo would be back in one-third of the time. Typical recovery time these days is six months.

Fantasy Impact: If Gallardo is back in September it likely only helps you for the final week or two of your season and the postseason. Playing him will be a risky move, considering he wouldn't have pitched in four months. Gallardo has displayed dominant stuff, however, so he could provide more than CC Sabathia does in terms of fantasy numbers. Stash him on your bench and hope for a shot in the arm for your staff come playoff time.

No comments: