Friday, April 3, 2009

Penny money in latest tune-up

Battling back from shoulder fatigue in 2008, Red Sox pitcher Brad Penny threw five innings on Thursday -- topping out in the mid-90s on the gun. He appears ready for his first start of the regular season.
Beset by ominous signs concerning his health at the outset of spring training, Penny completed a full recovery yesterday. He passed the final test in the Red Sox' last game in Florida, the five hits and three runs he surrendered to the Minnesota Twins less important than the 94- and 95-mile-per-hour heaters his right shoulder consistently unleashed. Barring a change in the rotation owing to weather, Penny will make his regular-season Red Sox debut April 12, the first day Boston will need a fifth starter.

"I felt like I could throw my 80th pitch as hard as I threw my first," he said. "No pain. Velocity was there. I think today was probably the best overall stuff I've had this spring."

Which means it was the best stuff he's had since virtually as long as he can remember. Penny started on Opening Day last season, an honor bestowed to only 30 men. He pitched 6 2/3 scoreless innings for the Dodgers, but he never felt right last year, not even in his first start. "I probably topped out at 89 Opening Day," Penny said.
Fantasy Impact: I'm a huge fan of Penny when he's healthy, and so are the Red Sox. Winning the 5th starting spot in the Boston rotation means Penny edges out Clay Buchholz, who had thrown as well as anyone for Boston this spring. Buchholz will take his 2.52 spring ERA back to Triple-A.

No comments: