Tuesday, April 7, 2009

No quivering for Qualls owners

The Diamondbacks bullpen looks very strong out of the gate with Tony Pena and Chad Qualls mowing down the Rockies bats in the eigth and ninth innings. Pena struck out two of the four batters he faced while Chad Qualls pitched a perfect ninth.
"Over my whole career, I've never had the chance to be the guy," Qualls said. "In Houston, with (Brad) Lidge, I kind of filled in here and there. But I never got, 'OK, you're the closer.' And that's my goal, to go out and prove to everyone that I can close."
Fantasy Impact: Qualls leaves little to be desired. He's a pitcher who's never posted an ERA above 3.76, with a career mark at 3.27. His WHIP climbed above 1.3 in 2007, which is the worst of his career. Overall his career WHIP of 1.202 is very solid. Qualls strikes out just under a batter per inning, and he's an experienced MLB pitcher, meaning he's poised to become a solid closer.

No comments: