Thursday, April 9, 2009

Less heat in this Ray

Orioles closer Chris Rays says his velocity is down this season for a reason: he's dialing it back, hoping to become more of a pitcher than a thrower.
"I'm not going out there and putting 100 percent effort into every pitch," Ray said. "As long as I'm putting the ball where I want to, the velocity isn't going to matter as much. It's not a conscious effort. I'm just not going out there grunting on every pitch. I used to just try to wing it. I [stopped doing] it this spring training and it was working, so I'm sticking with it."

Orioles pitching coach Rick Kranitz said he's fine with Ray's approach.

"He knows his body better than I do," Kranitz said. "It's a process. I don't expect him to come out here throwing the ball 96, 97 miles an hour either. I think that's a good thing for him so he doesn't start overthrowing and missing location."
There's speculation that the Orioles would like Ray to win back his old closer role this season. He did a pretty good job of it as a fire-baller. We'll see if the refined Ray can get it done.

Fantasy Impact: George Sherrill remains the Baltimore closer until otherwise notified. Ray is worth owning for his sleeper potential.

No comments: