Friday, March 13, 2009

Pudge wants to play, anywhere

Pudge Rodriguez really wants to play in the Majors this year, saying he's willing to switch positions if it means getting a chance to play regularly for an MLB club. Pudge thinks he can play at first or third.
"Trust me, I would love to catch, but I can play another position, and I'm willing to play another position, because I'm a player and I love to play," Rodriguez said on Friday. "That's the most important thing for me. I'm a winner. I love playing this game. I would love to be on a team and help it win. Whatever it takes to win ballgames, I'd do anything."
It's hard to imagine this was anything more than Pudge expressing his willingness to do whatever it takes to return to MLB. I'm guessing he wasn't serious about a position switch, especially considering he's played a total of 8 games (seven at first and one at second base) in his entire 18-year career.

Furthermore, Rodriguez hit just .276 with a .394 slugging average last year, hardly corner infielder numbers. Actually, he's not even close. He's not going to be playing anywhere but behind the plate in 2009.

No comments: