Thursday, March 12, 2009

Percival pitches well in first outing

Johan Santana's start might have been the most talked about pitching performance in the state of Florida, but also in the Sunshine State today: the return of Troy Percival. The Rays' aging reliever still has a shot to win the closer job. His hamstring and knee held up, as did his surgically repaired back. He pitched a hitless 5th against the Phillies.
On Thursday, he faced Ryan Howard, Geoff Jenkins and Gregg Dobbs.

Howard and Jenkins tapped pitches out in front of the plate that catcher Dioner Navarro easily fielded. Dobbs bounced to first baseman Carlos Pena, forcing Percival to run and cover the bag, which he did with ease.

"It was a step," Percival said. "I was actually forcing myself to mentally throttle back and throw my pitches, but I'd let a couple go, so the next time I'll do a little bit more. I'm gonna take it a step at a time."

Percival, who is eighth in saves with 352, said he will be ready by opening day, and Rays manager Joe Maddon is hopeful he'll be able to reorganize his bullpen.

"He looks very good to me," Maddon said. "I don't see any kind of hesitation or restriction. So, I think he's in really good shape."
With Jason Isringhausen and Grant Balfour as well, it's hard to expect Percival to keep his closing job all year. It's hard to bet against him winning the job for awhile, either.

No comments: