Friday, October 24, 2008

Wriggling Riggleman wants M's job

In an MLB.com article that lists Ken Macha, Willie Randolph, Ned Yost, Art Howe and Bobby Valentine as possible candidates, Mariners interim manager Jim Riggleman asks publicly for position full-time.
"Everyone in the organization knows of my desire to come back," said Riggleman, who compiled a 36-54 record after replacing John McLaren on June 19. "I just hope to be considered a candidate."

If the Mariners decide to go in another direction and cut ties with Riggleman, he could wind up as a coach with the Washington Nationals. He reportedly is being considered for a spot on manager Manny Acta's staff, possibly as bench coach -- the same position he had with the Mariners last season prior to McLaren's dismissal.

"I don't want to commit to anything until I hear from Seattle," Riggleman said.

Near the end of the Mariners' 101-loss season -- the first time they hit triple digits in losses since 1983 -- club president Chuck Armstrong said he had complied a list of 10 potential managerial candidates for the then-unknown Mariners GM.

Armstrong said Riggleman's name was on that list.

And prior to the final game of the season, Riggleman talked about his desire to return.

"I can promise you that nobody wants to manage this club more than I do," he said, "and nobody is more prepared to manage this club than I am. But if I don't manage this club [next season], I am not going to point to anything other than the fact I did not win enough games."
You can't blame Riggleman for his passionate plea, but you also can't expect him to beat out the bigger names. Riggleman isn't a bad manager. He did a nice job with the Cubs years ago, and he wasn't given much to work with after inheriting the M's mid-season.

No comments: