Friday, October 10, 2008

San Francisco steamin'

I guess San Francisco can't get over its hatred for Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers. This is ridiculous.
Tommy Lasorda has withdrawn as grand marshal of Sunday's Italian Heritage Parade due to public stink about his selection and because organizers couldn't assure that he would get to Los Angeles in time to see his beloved Dodgers play Game 3 of the National League Championship Series.

San Francisco Supervisor Michela Alioto-Pier threatened to introduce a resolution calling for Lasorda's ouster from the parade because of the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. Alioto-Pier called the former Dodgers manager "enemy No. 1" in San Francisco. She never introduced the measure.

"I'm not going to go. They made a big thing out of it," Lasorda said today as he watched the Dodgers' batting practice in preparation for their game against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Alioto-Pier's resolution also called Dodger fans "boastful and smug."

Asked if the episode bothered him, Lasorda said, "Sure it did, putting up a resolution to get me not to be the grand marshal. How would you feel?

"I wanted to do it because I love San Francisco, I really do. I love the city. We have a rivalry there. What the hell? That's the way it is."
Never should something like this be "the way it is." This is insane. The guy was already booked for the parade; then they raise the stink?

Enemy no. 1? I'm sure San Francisco can do better than Tommy Lasorda for their most hated enemy. How about fault lines or obscene cost of living?

No comments: