Thursday, October 23, 2008

Process this

An interesting commentary comes from ConsumerReports.org on MLB's postseason ticket policy. It's a complicated story, but it boils down to this: at least some tickets for postseason games come with a processing fee that goes to MLB, even if the game isn't played. So, if you buy a ticket for game seven, and the series ends in six, you can get your money back except for the processing fee, which baseball pockets.
I was surprised, to say the least. If I wanted a refund credited to my charge card, I’d have to apply for it within seven days of the final game of the series. No problem there. But the $20 “order-processing fee” was another matter. This fee amounted to half the price of the ticket, in the cheap seats where I had a chance of sitting. And it was not refundable, even if the game never happened!

Now that was a problem.

“Are you kidding?” I asked a telephone service representative for the Phillies. “How can you justify a charging a fee if the game wasn’t played?

“We have nothing to do with it,” the rep said. “Major League Baseball makes us do it. The money goes to them.”
That is outrageous. Anyone else run into this problem?

2 comments:

Drew said...

I don't know if it went to MLB, the ticket vendor, or the Cardinals, but I had this happen 6 years ago. I had 8 tickets each for Games 6 and 7 of the NLCS in St Louis against the Giants. The Giants won in 5, so neither game was played. I don't remember the exact figure, but I ate well over $100 after all was said and done.

Eldon Mains said...

Jeez, who is MLB getting it's advice from Manny Ramirez and Scott Boras? This is a case of who can be the most greedy.