Friday, August 29, 2008

Three hundreds

The Washington Nationals' four-game win streak has my prediction that the Nats would only win eleven more games in serious jeopardy. They have to go 5-22 to get it done.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible that the Nats actually manage to finish strong enough to avoid ending up with the worst record in baseball. Here's the relegation standings (I wish baseball would go English Soccer on the dogs of MLB sometimes):

Battle for MLB's worst record

Team---W---L---Pct.---GB
WSH---50---85--.370----
SEA----51---83--.381---1.5
SD-----51---82--.383---2

I don't see anyone else entering the race, quite honestly. My money is still on Washington, although all three of these teams could lose 100 games. This would be the first time three teams lose 100 games in the same season since 2002, when four teams turned the trick. That year Kansas City lost exactly 100. Tampa Bay, Detroit and Milwaukee all lost 106.

No comments: