Friday, August 1, 2008

Nomar defends Manny

Manny Ramirez wasn't the first player to leave Boston in a huff, and former/current teammate Nomar Garciaparra in Los Angeles is the first to come to his defense.
"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez told ESPN the other day. "During my years here, I've seen how they have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them, to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy."

This could be Manny being Manny. Or this could be the Red Sox being the Red Sox.

"There's a lot of truth to what he said," Garciaparra said at his Dodger Stadium locker Thursday, two hours after the Dodgers acquired Ramirez. "I can definitely understand and relate. Maybe he'll be next to me [in an adjacent locker], and we can chat and laugh about it."
I actually had a friend covering the Red Sox when Garciaparra was traded away. There was a lot written, good and bad, about Nomar at that time, but I'll never forget what my buddy told me: "Nomar is a cancer."

No comments: