Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Local Sports?

I'm writing this week from a hotel room in rain-soaked Orlando. Tropical Storm Fay is appropriately named. With the historic amounts of rain she's dumping on eastern and central Florida, Fay makes me think of the late Tammy Faye Bakker/Messner welling up and splashing her mascara all over her face.

What makes me want to cry tonight, or at least blog, is the nature of the local sports scene here in Orlando. The local TV guy on the NBC station (I didn't catch his name) just ran a ton of olympic highlights but didn't run a single play of baseball. The first-place Rays played the first-place Angels just a couple of hours down the interstate from here. Where was the coverage? Not even a couple of game highlights? I understand there's a tropical storm, but they still played baseball. You should get something out of St. Petersburg tonight. The Marlins, who are in the playoff hunt, were several innings into their game in San Francisco. No love for them, either. What gives? I get your station thinks the Olympics matter because they're an NBC affiliate, but I'm guessing local sports matter to the locals, too. Figure it out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm working with Takkle.com, a social networking site for sports. Members can post photos, videos, share stats and schedules, and a whole lot more with others throughout the community. Takkle is a place where students, athletes, coaches, and fans can share their passion for sports.

I feel that your site is very useful. I would love to know if you could link to our social networking resource.

Thanks,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the Olympics. Sports that people care about for two weeks every four years. That's what it's all about lucky number Seven.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was really upset about the lack of MLB coverage too. It's unacceptable.

-kmy