Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rockies might roll with Fuentes

The Rockies think they still have a shot in the whimpy NL West, and that means Brian Fuentes might not be traded.
"I want to be here," Fuentes said. "We have been playing better. And I think if I stay, we can win. Even I don't stay, these guys can win. But I believe I can help."
The Rockies stand just seven games out of first despite a horrible first half of the season in which injuries drastically starters Matt Holliday, Brad Hawpe, Troy Tulowitzki. First baseman Todd Helton is now on the shelf.

Fantasy Impact: With Manny Corpas and Taylor Buchholz waiting in the wings, Fuentes might just keep his job. It wouldn't be much of a surprise. Fuentes lost the closer role in Denver last year to Corpas, then won it back after Corpas collapsed at the beginning of the year. If Fuentes stays, it's his job to lose, but he's not a number one closer. If he goes, he might become a setup man for a contender. Here's wondering if the Cubs come calling at the last minute.

Update: ESPN concurs.

No comments: