Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jose, can you see?

ESPN reports that Jose Guillen wants out of Kansas City because of manager Eric Hillman, and ESPN reports that Jose Guillen doesn't want out of Kansas City whatsoever.
"Guillen and Hillman are not on speaking terms, they don't talk," said the source. "Guillen is definitely not happy, he's not comfortable and he would do anything he can in economic terms to ease his way out of Kansas City."

Guillen, however, denied he wants out.

"This is completely catching me by surprise," Guillen told The Kansas City Star. "This isn't coming from me. Trey and I are fine right now, and I've never said I wanted out of Kansas City.

"This is the team that is paying me a lot of money, and this is where I want to be. I don't know where all of this stuff is coming from. I hate to be put in this situation, and now I look like a bad guy again."
This strikes me as irresponsible journalism. ESPN reporter Enrique Rojas takes information from a "source" and then asks Guillen about the information. Guillen denies the matter, and Royals general manager Dayton Moore knows nothing of any unhappiness between Guillen and Hillman. So what does ESPN do? ESPN goes ahead and runs a story based on source information which is refuted by the athlete. You run source info when nobody is talking, not when the source, Jose Guillen is telling you the opposite is true. If anything there is no story here, and ESPN should've realized that.

Guillen's been disgruntled before, but he's new to KC, and like he says, he's making good money. Is this digging up dirt just for the sake of digging? If I'm Guillen, I'm peeved about this story and rightly so.

No comments: