Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smoltz looks to the future

While Curt Schilling felt free to declare that his career might be over following shoulder surgery, John Smoltz is feeling less comfortable in doing so. He's eyeing a return for next season.
"I realize I won't be able to fade away on my own terms," he said of his comeback bid, "meaning I realize at some point I'm going to have to say, 'This is it.' "

That point where he would call it a career would probably not be until after spring training. He can begin light throwing in four months.

"I don't know when that time would be," he said. "Barring a major setback, I think it would be a long time. Optimism can last a lot longer in this realm than it would in a scenario that says, 'If I'm not at this point in spring training, [end] it.' "
Smoltz' surgery and recovery sounds very painful. He says he'd rather go through Tommy John ligament replacement again rather than what he's going through now.

I've always liked Smoltz, and I like how he's approaching this recovery with such honesty. Schilling, on the other hand, has gone the dramatic route. Something tells me he'll make a good sportswriter some day.

No comments: