Monday, June 23, 2008

Hold on to your (BP) balls

In Monday's Miami Herald the fan who caught Ken Griffey's 600th home run -- known simply to this point as "Joe" -- is finally revealed. Joe Scherer caught two baseballs at Dolphin Stadium that day, but who knew that the first one, the one he nabbed in batting practice, would end up being so valuable.
'It turned out that as I stood up to catch the home run ball, my foot inadvertently nudged the batting practice ball, rolling to my left, the direction I was going,'' Scherer said in the statement. ``When I caught the home run ball, I looked down, saw the batting practice ball and immediately tapped it with my foot into the row of seats below my row. This caused a mad scramble for the batting practice ball and allowed me to climb one row above and head for stadium security without getting mobbed.''
The Herald says there's no word on what he'll do with his second ball. Hang on to your BP balls, kids.

No comments: